The traditional lecture style of talking at students for several hours lacks any interactive aspects, and can leave learners uninterested and uninspired.
Lecturers at City wanted a way to engage students, encourage them to be at lectures and provide different ways to aid their studies.
City already had a very basic prototype quiz app to trial in lectures, so our first task was to work with lecturers to maximise the app’s impact.
We gave special attention to the gamification of the app, for example, in order to further engage students - with animations, leaderboards and medals which can only be earned by attending lectures and paying attention to what is being discussed.
We developed a mobile-first web app that allows students to take part
in real-time quizzes during lectures, which can also be reviewed and
used as revision study aids. Features include a super-simple quiz builder
for lecturers, and revision functionality for students. Lecturers can
project the app in lecture halls and watch answers arrive in real time
as hundreds of students respond simultaneously.
It is widely used across City University functionality for commercialisation has now been built in.
The finished product was so intuitive and easy-to-use for lecturers and students alike, it was awarded runner-up by the Guardian Teaching Excellence Awards!
- Realtime quiz application
- Quiz building from within the application for lecturers
- Simultaneously used by lecturers on large projectors and a hall full of students answering the quiz questions on their mobiles
- Gamification through medals & leaderboards drawing from behavioural science
- Post-lecture revision functionality allows students to re-take quizzes and reveal the correct answers
- Login and key information linked to Moodle
- Bespoke user management system for administrators to manage payment tiers and clients
2 UX designers
Quality Assurance Developer